HAMMERHEADS SUMMER SWIM TEAM
If your child is interested in swimming, the Hammerheads is a great place to start! This Parks & Rec team emphasizes personal improvement, team spirit & good sportsmanship while competing against area teams. The program requires parent involvement at meets and team functions in order to operate. Those who cannot volunteer may opt out of this requirement with an additional $50 fee, which is due at the time of registration.
To register, please visit our NEW registration portal at https://webtrac.vwcparksrec.com. For details on how to find your account information, log in and register for a program, please scroll to the bottom of this post and the block on the right will have the details.
2019 COACHING STAFF
Team Representative: Tefany T Bleuel
Head Coach: Marvin Watson
Assistant Coaches: Abbey Bleuel & Catherine Cadawallader
Jr Coach: Caroline McMillen
Parent Representative: TBA
We are excited to announce our new Hammerheads Coach, Marvin Watson! Marvin started and coaches the TNT Swim Team that swims out of Falling Springs Center. He is passionate about teaching kids a love of swimming, setting goals and working hard! We are thrilled to have him on board as our coach and we know our swim families are going to love having him!
Parks & Recreation’s summer swim team is the perfect place for both new swimmers to get started in competitive swimming in a fun, positive and encouraging environment and experienced swimmers to stay in shape all summer long. With a focus on individual development and stroke improvement with a heavy dose of team spirit, & good sportsmanship, summer swim teams area all about the FUN! Swimmers of all levels are invited to participate! We will compete in approximately 5 meets throughout the summer, some at home and some at away locations. Schedules will be posted in mid-to late April. The team is open to kids ages 5 to 18 (age is determined by swimmer’s age on June 1, 2020)
- For swim meets to be successful, we must have parent help. For this reason, parent participation in at least one swim meet is required. We will work with parents to find a date or job that will work with their schedule. With a team of great parents providing support, we are sure to have a great season!
If you cannot volunteer or choose not to fulfill the volunteer requirement, you can “opt-out” of volunteering with a $50 fee.
- For swimmers to qualify to swim in the Conference Championship Meet at the end of the season, they must compete in at least 2 regular season meets. This is a conference rule that cannot be waived.
First Child: TBD
Each Add’l Child: TBD
Volunteer Opt Out Fee: $50 (see Meet Requirements)
DEADLINE: NOT YET AVAILABLE FOR SUMMER 2020 (there is a $10 late fee after the deadline)
At least one parent or guardian for each swimmer must attend one of our two mandatory parent meetings. These meetings are held at Falling Springs. These meetings are crucial for the success of the Hammerheads program. Parents will receive lots of information about the season, how our program works, what to expect, and be able to ask lots of questions. We’ll also have sign-ups for volunteer roles and responsibilities. By attending one of these meetings you’ll have a better chance of finding the date and job you want!
While the parents are meeting with staff, the kids will spend some time in the pool being evaluated by the coaches. See the Evaluation information in the next section for details.
2020 PARENT MEETING DATES & TIMES TBD
Swimmer evaluations are important because it allows the coaches to group participants by skill levels at practice. By doing so, coaches can work with each swimmer at his or her skill level, allowing swimmers to get the most out of their practice times and putting them in a position to learn and develop their skills as much as possible. When groups have a wide variety of skill levels it makes it difficult for coaches to meet the needs of each swimmer adequately.
Evaluations will be held in the pool during parent meetings in May. Please be sure to bring your child and have them ready to swim when you arrive. Dates and times will be announced in the spring. Please check back for updates.
A Hammerhead t-shirt & swim cap is included with the registration fee, however a team swimsuit is not included. Our team will wear royal blue or black swimsuits or jammers this summer. Suits are available for purchase at Pannell Swim Shop and other sports shops in Lexington. Although swimmers are not required to purchase a new suit, wearing the same colors as the rest of the team makes it easier to spot teammates quickly & adds to team spirit.
Every child, parent & coach is an important part of the Hammerhead Swim Team, so it is important to keep communication open. Please feel free to contact any of the Summer Swim Team Staff with questions, concerns or ideas! A contact list will be provided at the parent meetings.
We will also be utilizing the REMIND app for quick, simple communication via text. This is the best way to stay in touch and receive real-time updates, so we encourage you to download the REMIND app to your phone.
Practices are offered on Monday, Wednesday & Friday mornings and on Tuesday & Thursday evenings so that there are times available to accommodate everyone’ schedules (as much as possible). Coaches recommend that swimmers attend as many practices as they can each week (in addition to the scheduled swim meets), but understand that it’s most likely not feasible for swimmers to attend every practice offered and just ask that swimmers come when they can.
Practices will begin around the 3rd week of May and will meet until the season ends in mid-July. The 2019 summer practice schedule is below (please note that groups are determined at the swimmer evaluations in May – parents will be notified as to what your group their children are in.
*THE SCHEDULE BELOW IS FOR THE SUMMER 2019. PLEASE USE AS A REFERENCE ONLY – UPDATED PRACTICE SCHEDULES WILL POSTED IN THE SPRING OF 2020
- Ages 13 & up: 9:30-10:45 AM – Lane 4
- Ages 12 & under (GROUP 1): 9:30-10:30 AM – Lanes 1-3
- Ages 12 & under (GROUP 2): 10:30-11:30 AM – Lanes 1-3
- All Ages: 5:30-6:30 PM – Lanes 1-4
- All Ages: 6:30-7:30 PM – Lanes 1-4
Online registration is available, as is paper registration. If you would like to register online, please see the instructions below. If you’d like to do a paper registration, please go to https://vwcparksrec.com/forms/ and follow the instructions included with the Activity Registration Form. You can email the form to the Main Office and call 859.873.5948 to make payment by phone with a credit card. You may also drop the form and registration fee off at Falling Springs Center or mail it in with payment.
ONLINE REGISTRATION INSTRUCTIONS
To register your child for a program please go to https://webtrac.vwcparksrec.com. If you have never had a transaction with Parks & Recreation in the past (transactions include 20 visit cards, passes, programs or facility reservations) then click on “LOG-IN” and click the line that reads “If you’re a brand new patron with us, please click here to register for a new account” and set up a new account.
If you have had a transaction with us in the past but it’s your first time logging in to the WebTrac portal, please click “LOG-IN” and log-in to the system using your Household ID. This number is your username and password on this initial log-in and can be found on any receipt from a previous transaction you’ve had with with Parks & recreation or you may call or email us and we can give it to you.
Once you are logged in for the first time, please click on “MY ACCOUNT” and then under the “UPDATE” column, click on “ACCOUNT SETTINGS” to update your username and password.
- Enter your new username where it says “New Log-in” and then re-enter it on the line that reads “Re-Type Login”
- Please type in a new Password that only you know, where indicated.
- If you would like to change your Primary email address, you can do so in the bottom section where it says, “Change your Email”.
- Click submit to save changes.
Next, please click on My Account again and then click on “HOUSEHOLD & MEMBER” and do the following:
- Please verify and make any changes to your address, phone numbers and other items as necessary.
- Please note that if you answer NO to “Authorize Contacts Via Email”, you will not receive email updates regarding upcoming program registration periods or pass promotions. Please note that we do not send frequent blanket email blasts (usually less than once a year). Most emails are directly related to programs or passes you have registered for in the past, so if you want to continue to be informed on upcoming deadlines for programs you’ve participated in or programs similar to those you’ve participated in before, please click YES to this question.
- Please makes sure your family member and emergency contact information are up to date.
- You may add family members, but you cannot delete them. If you need to have a family member removed from your household, please contact our office.
- Once you have finished verifying your household info, please click save.
- To register for an activity, select the “Search” option on the left sidebar and then select “ACTIVITY SELECTION.”
- Type the name of the program you are looking for in the search bar. Sometimes fewer letters the better.
- To search all activities, leave the Keyword Search bar blank, do not select any other parameters, and click “SEARCH.”
- Find the program you would like to enroll in, click the “+” sign to the left of the activity and click “ADD TO CART” in the lower left-hand corner of your screen.
- On the next screen, please click the box next to the names of the people you would like to register in this activity and click continue.
- Answer any questions that are asked for this program for each person, click that you’ve read agree to the waiver and click “CONTINUE”.
- On the Shopping Cart screen, please check the charges and make sure they are what you expected, add any coupon codes you might have and then click “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” to finish your transaction or click “CONTINUE SHOPPING” to select additional items.
- Review the summary of charges. If you have old balances showing and you aren’t sure what they are for, please contact the office at 859.873.5948.
- Type in the amount you are paying today (full payment is required to complete registeration).
- Select your payment type
- Apply any Coupon or Gift Certificate codes you might have that you did not apply on the previous screen.
- Enter your Billing Information as indicated.
- Click “CONTINUE” to initiate payment authorization and generate a receipt or click “BACK TO SHOPPING CART” to go back to the cart to make changes or add items.
- If you continue to the payment screen, please add your credit card payment information as indicated and click “PAY.” If you do not wish to complete the transaction, click “CANCEL.”
If you experience difficulties, please call our main office at 859-873-5948 (Monday-Thursday 9-6 and Friday 9-5).